2013 Internet Trends, by Mary Meeker0 June 2, 2013 | Romanian Startups
Mary Meeker, partner at KPCB (Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers, the well-known Silicon Valley venture capital firm) has done it again.
She and Liang Wu has released the State of the Internet 2013 presentation at the D11 conference.
Some highlights from the slides:
– 2.4 billion Internet users around the world
– More than 500 million photos are uploaded and shared every day.
– More than half of those are on Facebook.
– About 100 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute.
– About a quarter of people worldwide say they share “everything” or “most things” online. In Saudia Arabia, India, and Indonesia, at least half say the same thing.
– Mobile internet traffic as a percentage of all internet traffic is expected to continued growing one-and-a-half times per year. It’s currently 15%.
– In China this year, mobile internet access surpassed PC internet access for the first time.
– On Groupon, 45% of transactions are conducted with mobile devices.
– Smartphone users check their devices about 150 times a day.
– QR code scanning is up fourfold in China from a year earlier.
– China now has more users of Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android mobile operating systems than the United States does.
Looking ahead, the report finds early signs of growth for wearable computing devices, like glasses, connected wrist bands and watches – and the emergence of connected cars, drones and other new platforms.